Q & A with Dr. Hull

French Green Clay Questions:

Q: I was told by a very good source that you must be very careful how much French Green Clay you take.

A: This depends upon the type of clay you use. Some clays cast and harden, so this statement may be true for some people using the harder clays, such as bentonite. But some clays do not harden, and powder instead, such as the French Green Clay and montmorillinite clay. These are the clays you should ingest because they will not cast or harden inside your body. Of course, you must drink plenty of water when ingesting any type of clay.

Q: Even with this milder form of clay, don't you still have to be very careful if you have a curved intestine where the clay can become stuck? The clay will coat both the villi, preventing proper waste movement and nutrient absorption, as well as keeping the toxins, which the clay has drawn-out, stuck to the lining of the intestine wall, right?

A: Again, I agree that the clays that cast should not be ingested, but the clays that do not cast are safe for ingestion, with the proper water intake. Please, do what you feel is best for your personal health needs, but a nutritional clay that removes toxins from the body without hardening inside the intestines is probably one of the best ways to pull the toxins from bends and folds, and other crevices lining the intestinal wall. The clay can also sweep the intestinal villus clean so that waste can be eliminated more efficiently, like cleaning cobwebs out of your house broom. The French Green Clay also aids in balancing the pH within your intestine, which can prevent disease. So, actually, your concerns are an illustration of the benefits of the French Green Clay.

Q: I recently heard from a naturopathic doctor at an herbal conference that 1/4 tsp green clay per week is all that is necessary for detoxification, and that more can be dangerous. What is your response to this information? I have ordered two bottles of French Green Clay, but I only took one capsule this morning. I'm afraid to take six capsules a day as instructed.

A: Six capsules equal approximately 1/2 teaspoon, but you can measure the dose by removing the clay from the capsule to see how much is best for your needs.

Everyone is individual with unique health needs, so no one, including me, can state an across-the-board dosage. Even pharmaceuticals should never set an across-the-board dosage for any medication. But typically, clays that do not cast cannot harm the body even if a large dose in ingested. There is nothing toxic about the clay to "poison" the system. French Green Clay and montmorillinite clay are natural elements used by other animals in nature to remove toxins and poisons from their bodies. This is an indication that "dose" depends on the amount of toxicity present. In human nutrition, the type of toxin (uranium versus lead, for example), and the location of the toxin (the brain versus the kidney) help determine how much clay you need.

You need to do what feels right for you, and keep researching all your options, but make a decision based on what makes sense after you have thoroughly researched any topic. It is healthy to question others opinions and recommendations. When a health practitioner delivers a warning about supplements that induce fear and caution, then by all means investigate their concerns. In this case, the naturopathic doctor may not have known the differences between clays; that some cast and harden, and that some do not. His warnings about clays that harden are spot on. But the clays that do not harden are safe for ingestion.

You might look out for a PBS documentary about the migration of the Macaws in South America. While filming migration to a specific water hole in the rain forest, the film crew unknowingly documented the daily migration of the Macaw. One by one, every day, the same birds would fly to the water's edge and eat the soft clay. You can even see the dried clay on their beaks. They would return each day at the same time, day after day, week after week. They did this to prevent getting sick from accidental ingestion of a poisonous berry or a rancid fruit.

Humans can safely ingest certain clays, as well, to prevent accidental poisoning from food toxins, microorganisms, or bacteria.

I hope this is of help to you in your quest for answers. Always wishing you the best in health.


Posted October 2007 | Permanent Link

Visit Dr. Hull's Websites & Online Programs

Hair Mineral Analysis Testing

  • Discover hidden toxins in your body
  • Create a customized nutrition program
  • Restore your health

Learn more about Dr. Hull's Hair Analysis Program

Dr. Hull's Online Detox Program

  • Video series online you can instantly watch
  • Download a Detox eBook and PDF program
  • Cleanse your body with vitamins
  • Restore your health

Learn more about Dr. Hull's Online Detox Program

Cancer Prevention Diet Video Series

  • Online video series instantly watch
  • Download a PDF eBook program
  • Learn about effective, alternative cancer treatments
  • Learn about natural foods and vitamins help fight cancer
  • Maintain a natural and healthy lifestyle

Learn more about Dr. Hull's Alternative Cancer Diet Program

Dr. Hull's Favorite Vitamins

  • Vitamin reviews and recommendations
  • Hand picked directly from Dr. Hull
  • Word-wide shipping and best prices

Check out Dr. Hull's Vitamin Directory

Private, Phone Consultations with Dr. Hull

  • Individual, private nutrition consultations
  • Discuss your health goals and specific questions
  • Perfect for vitamin and toxin consultations

Schedule a phone consultation with Dr. Hull

Other Articles In This Category

Online Hair Analysis Testing

Dr. Hull's Message Board

Healthy Newsletter Archive

Stay Connected!



Looking for something specific? Search our entire network of sites...

Most Popular Products

Dr. Hull's Detoxification Kit

Dr. Hull's Detoxification Kit teaches you how to remove toxins within the body. The program features information about specific nutrients the body needs to restore health.

View More Info >>