- Discover hidden toxins in your body with Dr. Hull's hair mineral analysis service.
Do you want to quit smoking? Have you tried to quit but unsuccessfully? Well, I received the following email from one of our newsletter readers, with a natural hint on how to quit smoking. I decided to check it out, and researched this "hint" and how it might work for smokers.
Dear Dr. Hull,
I want to thank you on behalf of all the people worldwide that are suffering from aspartame poisoning. I have already started the detox process, but there is one thing I will
add to your list for detoxification; I used this to quit smoking.
At bedtime, every night before retiring, drink a medium glass of orange juice with 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar. The cream of tartar apparently helps flush out the nicotine from your system while the orange juice replaces Vitamin C. Do this for 30 days and chances are your cravings will minimize. It's more natural and cheaper than the "patch" or prescribed medications.
I don't know all the facts about this, but it did work for me. I have saved lots of money not buying cigarettes. They are $7.00 a pack in some places in New York.
Well readers, this sounds simple. But typically, before I recommend anything to anyone, I like to check it out. So, I researched cream of tartar. (FYI - any brand of orange juice NOT from concentrate is fine.)
Cream of tartar is a white crystalline powder. Chemically it is listed as potassium hydrogen tartrate, the acidic potassium salt of tartaric acid. It is used as the leavening agent in baking powders, and is a byproduct of wine making. When placed over a flame, tartar turns purple, indicating the presence of potassium.
Tartar crystallizes in wine casks into a brownish-red acid powder during fermentation of the grape juice. Tartaric acid leached onto the walls of wine casks ages the wine. In wines bottled before they are fully fermented, tartar or argol can precipitate onto the side of the bottle in a sort of crust, thus forming what is called "crusted wine."
This crude form of tartar (known as beeswing) is collected and purified to produce the white, odorless, acidic powder used for many culinary and other household purposes, such as:
* Stabilizing egg whites, increasing their heat tolerance and volume;
* Preventing sugar syrups from crystallizing;
* Reducing discoloration of cooked vegetables;
* Combining with baking soda to add acid that activates baking powder.
When refined into a white acid powder, cream of tartar is used primarily in baking. Cream of tartar is combined with baking SODA to make baking POWDER.
Cream of tartar is also used to give a creamier texture to sugary things like candy and frosting, and is used to stabilize and increase the volume of beaten egg whites.
Cream of tartar can also be used to clean brass and copper cookware. When cream of tartar is added to water, a suspension results, which can clean coins very well. The solution loosens the surface dirt and grime on the coins, which can then be easily wiped clean. Cream of tartar and vinegar create a powerful cleaning agent used to clean encrusted pots, pans and stovetops.
The benefit of the cream of tartar in the cessation of smoking appears to be, 1) the replacement of potassium that smoking robs from the cardiovascular system, and 2) balancing body pH, which typically becomes too acidic when toxins from cigarettes are present.
Each cigarette you smoke robs your body of about 25 milligrams of vitamin C. Orange juice, NOT from concentrate, helps replace this much-needed vitamin C. Actually, all toxins demand extra vitamin C to remove the toxic load found in your cells. When toxins are elevated, more vitamin C is needed to maintain health during Detox.
Here are some tips to quit smoking:
Ebb Off Cigarettes
- Once you've made up your mind to stop smoking, and start a no-smoking regimen, be consistent! If you try this drink, do it every night without fail. The following day, if you reach for a cigarette, you may think twice about it. You may even decide not to have that cigarette.
- Reduce the number of cigarettes you have each day, and you should be able to wean off them completely by the end of one month, if not sooner.
- Most smokers smoke "habit" cigarettes, e.g. smoking while on the phone, after a meal, or while driving. So, eliminate these habit cigarettes by changing your smoking habits. This reduces the number of cigarettes smoked without creating the feeling of loss that reducing the number of cigarettes often creates.
- Each time you buy a pack of cigarettes, change brands to one that is less appealing to you. It may reduce the pleasure of smoking, and confirm how nasty they can taste.
- Do not buy cartons of cigarettes; buy one pack at a time, and only after you have finished a full pack.
- Each day, wait an hour longer than the prior day before lighting your first cigarette.
- When you have a strong craving for a cigarette, wait five minutes; meanwhile, do something interesting, something that takes total concentration and takes your mind off smoking.
- Some people decide to throw the cigarettes away and stop at once. Make that decision and stick to it.
- Never have any cigarettes around. Once you decide to stop cold turkey, do not buy any cigarettes or leave any in drawers or hidden places.
- Never bum cigarettes or take a "drag" when quitting going cold turkey. This haunts your memory into wanting more.
- Replace your habit of smoking with a healthier habit, such as jogging, walking, biking, sewing, painting, or swimming.
- As each day progresses when you have not had a cigarette, it gets easier to break old smoking habits.
Posted August 2007 | Permanent Link
Dr. Hull's Recommended Products
Dr. Hull has selected the best resources on the web to get her recommended products. Browse the following products Dr. Hull highly recommends to keep you and your family healthy.
| Niacin, 50 mg »
Great for: Detoxing, High Blood Pressure, Liver Health, Children
| Wobenzym N »
Great for: Allergies, Immune System, Nausea Relief
| Vitamin C 1000 »
Great for: Immune System, Colds, Detoxing, Flu & Viral
|Hair Analysis Testing »
Identify hidden toxins in your body by having your hair analyzed with Dr. Hull.
Other Articles In The July Issue
- Healthy Feedback
- Mercury From Volcanoes
- Stevia Update!
- Q & A with Dr. Hull
- Did You Know - About Volcanoes?
- Healthy Recipes
- You Say Tomato.......
Other Articles In This Category
Online Hair Analysis Testing
Dr. Hull's Message Board
- Have something to say? Post a comment or discuss articles on Dr. Janet Starr Hull's Free Alternative Health Forum!