Have you had enough of vitamin bashing?
Well, according to the recently published 31st Annual Report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers’ National Poison Data System, there have been no deaths from vitamin supplements, while deaths from drug overdose are now the leading cause of injury death in the U.S.
According to the most recent information collected by the U.S. National Poison Data System, there was not one death caused by any dietary supplement in 2013.
Too bad they don’t widely publicize this fact.
The December 2014 report showed that in 2013, poison professionals at the nation’s 55 poison centers managed about 2.2 million human poison exposures, with children younger than 6 accounting for about half of all poison exposure cases, and over 800,000 information calls.
Eighty percent of the poisonings were unintentional, and sixteen percent were intentional, with suicidal intent suspected in 11 percent of all cases.
The substances most frequently associated with poison-related deaths were:
- cardiovascular drugs
- miscellaneous stimulant
- street drugs
Medication categories with the greatest increase of serious exposures were:
- cardiovascular drugs
Other findings in the report include:
- The top five substance categories most frequently involved in human poisonings were analgesics (12%), cosmetics/personal care products (8%), household cleaning substances (8%), sedatives/hypnotics/antipsychotics (6%) and antidepressants (4%)
- About 72 percent of all cases reported to poison centers were calls from people’s homes.
- About 70 percent of the 2.2 million poison emergency cases reported to poison centers were treated at home, saving millions of dollars in medical expenses.
Zero Deaths From Vitamin Or Health Products
There were no health products, vitamin supplements, essential oils, or holistic products on this list. There were zero deaths from any:
- amino acid or herbal product
- Asian medicines, Ayurvedic medicine, or any other botanical
- creatine, blue-green algae, glucosamine, chondroitin, melatonin, or any homeopathic remedy
- dietary mineral supplements
- multimineral supplements
So, the question is why do our lawmakers – financed by Big Pharma lobbyists – want to regulate vitamin and natural supplements, yet continue to approve toxic drugs and food chemicals?
You have our permission to reprint this article if you attribute us with a live back-link to this article. http://www.janethull.com/healthynews/.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only, and is educational in nature. The FDA may not have evaluated some of the statements. This article is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please discuss with your own, qualified health care provider before adding supplements or making any changes to your dietary program.