Salt is not only critical to your life, but it is one of the basic elements from which your body is made. Every cell in your body is dependent on the presence of sodium, which circulates in the fluid between every cell. Sodium is a brain nutrient, so healthy forms of sodium are critical for brain health. Without salt, you could not stay alive.
Did You Know About Salt?
- Our bodies naturally contain salt as an essential chemical for ample functioning.
- Sea salt detoxes the body by cleansing the digestive track.
- Salt reduces gas and bloating.
- A warm sea salt soak can bring out toxins through your skin.
- Historically, salt was used as currency. During the War of 1812, soldiers received salt brine as payment, and Roman soldiers were paid in salt.
- Salt has been used throughout the ages as a ward against negative energies and evil spirits. Today people still throw a pinch of salt over their shoulder to ward off evil that may be behind their back.
- There are several Biblical references to salt.
- The word salary comes from the Latin world salarium, which means “payment in salt.”
- Primitive humans had no concerns about salt because they got their daily requirement of salt from consuming the blood of animals.
- Wars have been fought over salt, and many civilizations rose and fell in pursuit of what came to be called “white gold.”
- When the ability of salt to preserve food was first discovered, it changed society and opened the possibility to travel and carry food.
Avoid The Wrong Kind Of Salt
Due to the manufacturing of foods, pre-packaged foods, and fast foods, there is little doubt that excess consumption of the “wrong kind of salt” is a common problem in the United States today. It is important to carefully watch your daily intake of adulterated sodium/salt, so monitor the type of salt you use when eating out or eating pre-packaged foods. I recommend using Himalayan salt, Celtic salt, or any natural sodium sources when salt is used.
Your body is like a little, walking ocean – hey, now you can say that you live by the sea!